|   All Languages   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Engels-Nederlands woordenboek

Online Dictionary Dutch-English: Enter keyword here!
  ëéïö...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations

LoginSign Up
Home|New Website|About|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Niederländisch
 Following on Previous question »
« Dutch last name, meaning?    

Dutch-English Translation of
please help with

« go back | show/hide answers | follow discussion
Term:
please help with this one!!!!!  
by gertaschwa (UN), 2013-01-21, 23:20  like dislike  Spam?  
Can anyone tell me what this means, from an old 16. century manuscript?

"eick dient sinte alweer met grooter begeert, die van veel menschen wordgheeert"

the best i could come up with was "wick shoud ____ again, with greater desires, those which many people desire"

please help...and if this is idomatic, please explain... thank you!!!
Answer:
by Heflamoke (DE/RS), 2013-02-02, 15:39  like dislike  Spam?  
Are you sure you copied it properly?

eick?
grooter?
wordgheeert?
Answer:
anonymous, 2013-02-03, 04:03  like dislike  Spam?  142.196.88....
it is, I know - the three Es in wordgheeert threw me off, I had to look again... but all is correct.
Answer:
by wbk (BE), 2013-02-15, 21:42  like dislike  Spam?  
there's a database that might do the job:
http://gtb.inl.nl/?owner=ONW

Are you sure "eick" is the first word or might a part be missing?
Otherwise this is what I would make of it: "the oak tree serves the saint with great desire, who(/which?) is honoured by many"

It would help if you would know more about the context, there are plenty of legends that involve Saints and oaks...
Answer:
Saint Quarrelsome  #702885
by Boutros (NL), 2013-04-09, 14:04  like dislike  Spam?  
Hey there,

I found an article that treats the manuscript you mentioned. It's called "Sinte Alwaer" (Saint Quarrelsome), and it is a parody on a saint story. The text should read: "Elck dient Sinte Aelwaer met grooter begheert, die van veel menschen wordt gheeert". So we can skip the oaks and translate it as: "Each serves Saint Aelwaer with greater desire, who is honoured by many."

Check the entire article here: http://www.dbnl.org/tekst/_spe011197501_01/_spe011197501_01_0013.php

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | contact / privacy
Dutch-English online dictionary (Engels-Nederlands woordenboek) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Advertisement